---------------------
January 24, 2010
7:10AM Iceland Time
I'm in Iceland! So that's cool. The women (+ men) here (in Keflavik airport) are HUGE! [note: I've since learned that the Netherlands is supposedly the tallest country in the world.] I stepped off the plane and became average-sized. I swear I've seen multiple chicks in heels and furs who are, like, 6'6".
Tonight's adventures have been relatively smooth and fun and exciting so far. I had to buy a watch in Logan airport because I was freaking out from cellphone withdrawal. On the plane I sat next to a guy who designs games for a living. I know, right? He was really cool.
Since I started writing this, I have boarded my second plane, and we're about to take off. I'm sitting next to a guy from Brussels who works for Exxon ("...a...petrochemical company...it's umm...American...") and travels a lot. He's been giving me some good advice about where to travel in Europe.
So I packed 2 purses. I have a little one, which I stuck in my backpack, and a larger one, which is one of my carry-on items. I checked the larger purse and the backpack very carefully to make sure they were security-ready. I had my liquids out in a plastic bag, and I wore shoes that slide right off and everything. When I got on the plane, I went to get a pen out of the small purse and found a lighter, a box-cutter, and a paint-scraper (containing a razor blade). I've gone through two different international security checkpoints! I'm glad I didn't get in trouble, but REALLY???
So we're in the air now and I'm still awake! How cool is that? For those of you who don't know, I am a little bit narcoleptic on airplanes. I think it has to do with the pressure-shift or something. But today I made it almost 2 hours before I passed out! It's a new record. And I got some work done. I made German flashcards. Finishing my German class is going to be difficult. I love the language though, so I'll make it work.
Eeeee! I'm excited!
TTFN! Ta ta for now!
[then there's this picture:]
P.S. OMG! They have Criminal Minds on this flight! I love that show!
---------------------
January 24, 2010
21:00 Amsterdam Time
I'm in bed at the hostel. What a first day! I met up with a bunch of other derrangedly tired CIEE peeps and we chiled. We did some exploring and checked out a coffee shop. We also discovered that being a pedestrian in Amsterdam is an acquired skill. We nearly got hit by several bikes and a few cars.
When we got back to the hostel, we hit up the restaraunt/bar. It has a disco ball and plays dance remixes of the entire 1980s. I ate Bitterballen and a Bullit energy drink. The bartender gave me some free Flügel: The Party Ritual! (www.flugel.com). Some people went to dinner, but I stayed in the restaurant and made German flashcards. I drank wine, studied, and people-watched for a couple of hours and now I'm quite ready to pass out.
Tomorrow we have to check out by 10:30 and then meet up at 12, at which point we will get new rooms. it's a little silly. Oh well. Orientation should be good, but I'm really anxious to move into my dorm and unpack. You know?
[note: I'm still not sure what Flügel is. It says "Mixdrank" on the back, which amuses me. It may be an energy drink + vodka? I think I'll be ok if I never see it again...]
No comments:
Post a Comment