Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Las Luces de la Navidad

While Walmart put up their Christmas display well before Thanksgiving, I will say that Christmas lights and decorations in general are much more reasonable in Xela.  They've been slowly appearing over the past couple weeks.  What's weird to me is that there are lots of lightup snowmen, but no snow.  It's like LA.
The only major difference between Christmas lights here and in the US is that it's all the rage here to have obnoxious singing Christmas lights like these:


These aren't popular in the US too, are they?  It's also weird because the sound that comes out of them is something I associate with those electronic dreidels Grandma Nore always has.  Every time I pass singing Christmas lights, I expect it to be singing Rock of Ages or I Have A Little Dreidel, but it's playing Silent Night or Santa Clause is Coming to Town.  Weird. 

Another weird thing is that, at least in malls and stuff, they have the same Christmas songs here as they do in the US.  As in... in English.  Which also means they overplay Feliz Navidad horribly.  Of course, as I write this, this internet cafe is playing a real Spanish Christmas song, so maybe it's not as bad as I think.  Weirdness though.  

In other news, I have a new English student, and I'm not 100% better, but I can eat latkes and pizza, so I'm happy.  

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are recovering. I didn't get any singing dreidels this year. I'm off to Fairfax this morning. Will think of you tomorrow during your party. Love, Lenore

    ReplyDelete