I left Guatemala on January 12, but I haven't really had a chance to sit and sum everything up. Right now I am sitting in El Taller with some friends. El Taller replaced Café Verde after I left. It is owned by my friend's family, who are also the owners of Café Azteca. Now that I've made it all the way back to Massachusetts, back to the restaurant I used to call home (or at least the building), I feel like my journey is finally over. For now.
Where had I left off?
I did get to go swimming in El Remate. It was super nice. Then I headed back to Xela. I spent my last few days packing, getting rid of stuff I didn't want to take home with me, and saying goodbye to friends.
![]() |
| The Whole Family in Hawaii |
From LA I went to Hawaii with my grandparents, mother, aunt, uncle, and adorable baby cousins. It was an amazing vacation! Afterwards I went to Santa Cruz for a couple days before returning to Massachusetts and winter.
So I'm back now. It's definitely weird. Most of my Massachusetts friends have moved away and I miss my amazing Guatemalan friends something fierce. But it's time to get a grownup job, settle down somewhere, and start being a contributing member of society. I figure if I find a job I love, I'll stick with it. If I don't, I'll save up to return to Guateamala and/or travel the rest of the world. Right now I just have to focus on finding some sort of a job. So if you know anybody who's hiring...
I'm sad to see this adventure come to an end. My time in Guatemala was incredibly fun and educational. I made some wonderful friends, learned Spanish, gained experience and insight, and fell in love with a land, a people, a culture...and some food and music too. I said it last time, and I'll say it again: I will return to Guatemala some day.
That's all for now, but I will probably pick this blog back up on my next international adventure. Stay tuned! And thank you so much for reading, commenting, and supporting my journey!


No comments:
Post a Comment