Friday, November 16, 2012

Sammiches


So teaching English was going super well until one of my students' mom called and said that her daughter is mysteriously ill and probably won't be back until next year, and my other student had to go away for a week and a half for work.  Oops.  I tried to get a job at El Cuartito.  They have a strict no-gringos hiring policy (which you can do here), but they were considering making an exception for me.  They ended up finding cool non-gringos at the last minute, so I didn't get it.  I got a call from the owner (a gringa, btw), in which she basically said, you seem really awesome, and we think you'd be great, and I admire your enthusiasm, but we're not going to hire you because of where you're from.  Now you might think this was infuriating, but I found it bizarrely refreshing.  In the States, prospective employers frequently don't want to hire people on the basis of race, or because they're foreigners.  In Lawrence or LA, for example(s), there are plenty of latino-owned businesses with mostly-latino clientele, who would prefer not to hire gringos (and of course we all know that white people are racist all the time).  But these companies all have to come up with bullshit excuses not to hire you in order to avoid a lawsuit.  And that sucks.  Because then, instead of being able to tell me that I'm qualified and I seem like a good fit, but they're rejecting me on the basis of something I can't change... they have to pretend that I am somehow inadequate.  And that's just lamesauce.
So...I'm teaching a couple of English classes separately from the English school, while I wait for my student to come back from the capital...or for more students to show up.  But to supplement my income, I've decided to start selling sandwiches.  I make damn good sammiches, and I want to share them with Guatemala...for a profit.  Today was my trial day.  I ended up selling the majority of my sandwiches inside Casa Argentina, so instead of going out to the university, I sold the remaining sandwiches at the mercado Las Flores, one block from my house.  I was right here-ish:


It was fun!  And I managed to sell them all.  Lot's of hard work though.  My back hurts now.  Although that could be from the jiu jitsu and the boxing.  My whole body hurts.  In a good way though. 

1 comment: