Friday, August 3, 2012

Random Ramblings

My response to mom's comment was long enough that I feel it merits a new post.

Mom said: "Is is strange eating in the kitchen alone, or nice quiet time?

I don't know where you can get a rugby ball, but... speaking of rugby. Robin Miniter has an exhibit of some of her photos from India hanging at Zumi's, I guess she is back in the country."


It is both strange and nice, quiet time. It is nice, quiet, strange time. Today my lunch was a fish. With it's skin and head and bones still on. I was very happy to be dining alone because I lack the required skills to deal with that situation. I went to work on my aquatic friend like a mad scientist in a horror film. He was delicious. I think I did good. Is the fish on Fridays thing Catholic? Or was this just a weird coincidence?

I contacted the Xela rugby team. They told me where to find a ball and said they could lend us one slash help teach rugby.

I did see Robin briefly before I left. The problem with being a crazy world adventurer and having friends who are also crazy world adventurers is that you are rarely in the same country at the same time...

-------------

What else?  I need to get back to work.  I'm kind of translating a website right now.  No big deal.I been helping with piano, guitar, and marimba classes.  Yesterday I taught a whole period of gym by myself.  Then I played soccer with some 13 year old boys.  Then my whole body hurt.  


The music prof here is super nice.  His whole family is super awesome at marimba.  Marimba's kind of a big deal here.  The guatemalan's invented it.  Last night the music teacher brought me to his family's concert.  I met his girlfriend and his mom and dad and brother and sister and got to see a super cool concert for free.  Video coming soon. 


So one of the big cultural differences here is that it's totally normal/not-lame to live with your parents until you're married.  When I talk about 18 and 19-year-olds moving out of their parents' houses, people here are horrified.  


Also the gesture for "come here" is palm-down here.  Surprisingly quite confusing.  


OK.  Later gators!


P.S. I added 2 more items to the list in my last post.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the super through answers to my questions, and the great postings. I'm totally enjoying your blog and getting to share in some adventuring, even vicariously.

    Appreciating my shower even more now.... xoxoox

    ReplyDelete