Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why This Guatemalan Seminary Is Just Like JCC Camp


I promise I'll go back to blogüeando en español soon!  But ready?

Why This Guatemalan Seminary Is Just Like JCC Camp:
  1. It is in the middle of the woods.
  2. The ground is covered in pine needles.
  3. There are various buildings sprawled out over a pretty large area.
  4. Teenagers live here, in bunk beds, without their parents.
  5. The boys live in a boys-only area (although the whole thing's kind of a boys-only area).
  6. It is religious. (Although the church here is a bit more impressive than our little synagogue-in-the-woods.)
  7. There's a big dining hall.
  8. There are prayers before and after every meal.
  9. There is mysterious, brightly-colored sugar-water (or "bug juice").
  10. After the meal, one kid stacks all the dishes (although I haven't figured out their system yet.  There's no "Freeze" or "Captain's Ship" or "Nose Game.")
  11. When I venture outside in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, there's a security dude on duty.
  12. I could definitely get in trouble for wearing a 2-piece bathing suit (or...like...shorts...).
  13. There are spiders EVERYWHERE!
  14. Every shower is both refreshing and slightly traumatic.  

But yeah.  I like it.  I loved camp.  And I don't eat in the dining hall anymore.  I eat in the monastery.  Alone.  With a cook named Victor.  I haven't yet decided if I prefer this or not, but it makes me feel like I have a personal chef, and that's fancy!  Also, if this is camp I think I'm finally a counselor!  Today I worked in the kitchen, which was fun, and had my first PE class.  Later this week or next week, I'm gunna start teaching martial arts during PE.  Anyone know where I can find a rugby ball in Guatemala??

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff, Maya, and a good set of analogies. Also, forget that rugby stuff; I'll bet you could still teach those kids a thing or two about goal-keeping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty funny! Communal religious living situation for youth, I guess not that different on the macro level.

    Is is strange eating in the kitchen alone, or nice quiet time?

    I don't know where you can get a rugby ball, but... speaking of rugby. Robin Minitar has an exhibit of some of her photos from India hanging at Zumi's, I guess she is back in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is both strange and nice, quiet time. It is nice, quiet, strange time. Today my lunch was a fish. With it's skin and head and bones still on. I was very happy to be dining alone because I lack the required skills to deal with that situation. I went to work on my aquatic friend like a mad scientist in a horror film. He was delicious. I think I did good. Is the fish on Fridays thing Catholic? Or was this just a weird coincidence?

    I contacted the Xela rugby team. They told me where to find a ball and said they could lend us one slash help teach rugby.

    I did see Robin briefly before I left. The problem with being a crazy world adventurer and having friends who are also crazy world adventurers is that you are rarely in the same country at the same time...

    ReplyDelete