I am convinced that Guatemala--or at least Xela--is the topographical opposite of the Netherlands. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport sits 11 feet below sea level. Tourists in Xela can become sick and tired because of the altitude. At its lowest point, the city is 7,655 ft above sea level. Amsterdam is the flattest place I've ever been, with the possible exception of Ohio. :-p Xela is an extremely hilly city (think San Francisco with cobblestone streets), up in the mountains. Remarkably, the two cities have pretty similar weather.
I told my teenaged roommates I'll take them out dancing on their last night (tomorrow). I feel bad. They aren't allowed to leave the house after 19:00 unless accompanied by an adult. I, however, am an adult. (buahahaha!) They'd better not get drunk and get me in trouble! Honestly, I just want to go out, but people keep warning us not to go anywhere alone at night. With my high school buddies, I won't be alone.
Tonight I'm going to meet up with my friend, Alej, from Oberlin. Alej grew up in Xela, but right now she lives in Guatemala City (4 hours away). When I got my phone this morning, I texted her, and it turns out she's in Xela right now! Woohoo! It's a small world after all...
I told my teenaged roommates I'll take them out dancing on their last night (tomorrow). I feel bad. They aren't allowed to leave the house after 19:00 unless accompanied by an adult. I, however, am an adult. (buahahaha!) They'd better not get drunk and get me in trouble! Honestly, I just want to go out, but people keep warning us not to go anywhere alone at night. With my high school buddies, I won't be alone.
Tonight I'm going to meet up with my friend, Alej, from Oberlin. Alej grew up in Xela, but right now she lives in Guatemala City (4 hours away). When I got my phone this morning, I texted her, and it turns out she's in Xela right now! Woohoo! It's a small world after all...

Hooray for topography! And hooray for a friend in town. How did the evening with the HS kids go?
ReplyDelete