I made it! I am safe and sound and I slept for about 11 hours last night. My room is pretty sweet and very close to Casa Xelajú. I am staying with Josefina and Agosto (sp?). They are super super nice. Right now there are three American teenagers living there and sharing a bathroom with me. They leave Thursday though.
Spirit Airlines is the cheapest way to get here for a reason! It was not my comfiest flying experience, but I got here with all of my luggage, so I can´t really complain. If you are taller than 5'10", however, you will not be able to get your legs into their seats. FYI.
I didn't have to take a bus though! Two very nice men from Casa Xelajú drove all the way to Guatemala City to pick me up! 4 hours each way! We stopped for food and I drank something made of corn that was sweet and delicious. Not sure what it was.
The drive up into the mountains was beautiful, and I didn't get sick at all!!! Even got a glimpse of Lago Atitlán! I did fall asleep for the last bit though. I was muy cansada!
For now I have classes in the afternoons and activities in the mornings. Today I have an orientation at 9:30 and class at 2:00. I need to buy a few things at some point, like shampoo and a phone. I'm totally doing merengue class on Wednesday, although that will be a little weird at 9AM.
Spanish classes will be interesting. I've forgotten a lot of really basic stuff, but I still remember lots of other stuff. I don't know how to describe my own level. We'll see what happens. :-p The guy who drove me to Xela says he thinks I´ll be fluent in 2 months. I like the way he thinks. Don't know if I buy it though.
Okey dokes. ¡Hasta luego!
That was so nice to have people there to greet you and transport you up to Xela! Please send my greetings to Josefina and Agosta and thank them from me for looking after you!
ReplyDeleteI want Merenge and salsa lessons from you upon your return. xoxoxo
I bet your driver is right about your fluency. There is a correlation between language and musical abilities. Sounds like your trip is getting off to a good start. It will be fun to again be reading your blogs. Love, Lenore
ReplyDeleteI suspect that three or four months is a better guess. I also remember instructors explaining that if one had a decent command of grammar and perhaps 800-1,000 words of vocabulary, it was possible to become reasonably bi-lingual in six months, if one refrained from speaking the native tongue at the beginning. Of course, I'm not sure of the distinction between "fluent" and "reasonably bi-lingual." Oh, well . . .
ReplyDeleteAnyway, things sound wonderful thus far! Love, -- Dad