Sunday, July 11, 2010

What a day!

Yesterday we got up, packed up, dined, and checked out of our hotel. We headed for the Wieliczka Salt Mines. Neither of us knew what to expect, but the mines were super cool! We went down a baillion meters or something and there were all sorts of statues made of salt and stuff. The 7 dwarves were there, but not Snow White.

After the mines, we set off for Budapest. We drove through the Carpathian mountains, and it was totally epic! Most beautiful drive ever! We realized that even though we've only been taking pictures of the big cities, we've been passing through tons of cool little villages. I tried to take some pictures out the car window. Will post them soon.

The drive was incredible, even though we had to take weird detours a couple times (the GPS is sometimes a little crazy).

We made it to Budapest around 9 and found our hostel, but then I discovered that I lost my glasses. Huge bummer! Now I'm all kinds of blind. And no opticians are open until Monday. But I refuse to let it ruin my travels. I'll be wearing my prescription sunglasses till it gets dark, then switching to contacts.

Our hostel is super little and groovy and old school. Not like any of the places I've ever stayed before. I think it's just an apartment converted into a hostel, but the people here seem nice, and our room is comfy, so it works for me! It's pretty cool actually.

Now I have to go find breakfast. Peace out girl scout!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have extra glasses. Wearing sunglasses make sense for watching the world cup on Sunday. Good luck. Am waiting to see your pictures. I'm off to bed. Lenore

    ReplyDelete