Sunday, October 7, 2012

I wasn't planning on spending so much of my day in an internet cafe, but...

They've got the game on here, and it's downpouring outside, and I forgot my umbrella.

So...

Let me tell you about the book I'm reading.

Amazon (via the back cover of the book, I believe) says:

"Malas Ondas" (Spanish for "Bad Vibes") is an extraordinary odyssey through the south of Mexico told through the irreverent pen of one of America's hottest underground writers, Kent Evans. Running for his life from New York, the "Twin Towers," and a disastrous relationship, this uproarious travelogue chronicles Kent's initiation into Third World society. Join him as he samples the tastes, soaks in the culture and sinks ever deeper into depravity all the while treating readers to Mexico's fabulous treasures. A brilliantly orchestrated travel memoir blending conversations, verse, E-mail updates, and lyrical prose, "Malas Ondas" tracks one man's mesmerising and hilariously masochistic descent into 21st century sin all in the cause of that timeless enigma: self-discovery.

It's a cool book to read while adventuring solo in Central America because it's about a young guy's solo adventures through Central America.  Kent Evans, however, went a different route than I, in that he made all of the "bad" decisions I've avoided.  And he had a lot of fun doing it.  I just, personally, don't like losing all my stuff or having tummy parasites or being known as the gringo who passes out on the beach all the time.  But that's just me. It's a really interesting read, quite unlike anything I've ever seen before.  A bit narcissitic at times, but insightful and entertaining as well.

And...Madrid just tied it up: 2-2.

All settled into my little hostal thing.  I like it a lot.  The staff love that I actually speak and understand Spanish, and the other gringos seem pretty cool.  I'm just stoked to be cooking finally!  This is what I got for $5 the other day:

Good Stuff!

OK I really want to leave this internet cafe now, but I really don't want to get all wet!

As for the job/living thing, I've decided to give it a week.  I've been offered a very chill position at a Spanish school on Lago Atitlan, that I think I'd love, but I'm not sure if I want to leave Xela.  Waiting to see if I find anything else in the next few days.  Not much I can do on a Sunday though.  I'm not worried.

1 comment:

  1. I've been kind of hiding out today too, the bright sunshine of this morning disappeared before I could take advantage and is becoming another rainy day. I feel bad for the Topsfield fair folks, it has rained practically everyday that they've been set up. I got cheap tickets for the fair at work last month, but I can't seem to muster energy up to go in the rain. Hmm...

    I'm glad that you can live out the bad decisions vicariously through this book, and keep making good decisions in real life.

    Enjoy cooking up some tasty vitals. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete