Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pana Continued

I found my friend!  Without the use of telephones or facebook!  Just showed up in the town he's living in and found him!  I love when the world works like that! 

So yeah...where did I leave off?  After I blogged  last night, I decided to treat myself to a fancy-ish dinner at Chinitos.  The restaurant is, like, Asian-Mayan fusion.  The meal was super satisfying, but not totally impressive.  :-p  I ordered what was supposed to be a hot and sour soup.  It was delicious, but definitely not hot and sour soup.  It had blocks of tofu, egg, and a mix of local veggies in an asian-type (though not really hot or sour) broth. I also got some beefy dish with yummy sauce and vegetables, and horchata.

From Chinitos, I figured I'd walk around a bit, see if there's any good live music, and then go to bed.  But I found my friend!  So we hung out by the water.  He showed me the prettier parts of the shore, where there's less boats and people.  It was very awesome.  Then we watched Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (or Dos tontos en fuga) in Spanish.  Then I went to sleep.

In the morning I got some orange juice while I looked for a place to eat breakfast.  Have I not talked about OJ-in-a-bag yet???  OMG!  Well, all over Guatemala (and probably other places too, but I wouldn't know) you can get fresh squeezed orange juice on the side of the road.  Like, it doesn't get any fresher.  You watch them squeeze it right there.  And then they pour it in a big cup.  And then they pour it in a bag and stick a straw in it and you pay 5Q and it's yours and it's so damn yummy!

And then I went and talked to the paragliding guy.  I really want to go paragliding at Lake Atitlan!  It's a tandem deal.  You go with the super nice guide guy.  And you just step off a mountain top and fly over the lake with a parachute.  It sounds like the best thing ever!!  And the weather was perfect today!  But he was booked.  But he says it's even better in December, and gave me his e-mail address.  So now I have some time to find the $90 I need. :-)

And...now I'm back in Xela.

Been meaning to mention the rainy season's over here!  So much better now!  Of course the season after the rainy season is the super cold season.  But it's only bad at night.  During the day it's still hot and sunny.  I can work with this. 

1 comment:

  1. Maya, I miss traveling with you, you are such a great traveler. Love the blogs and the photos you put on FB. I must agree that Lake Atilan, is one of the most peaceful, beautiful, breathtaking places I have ever been too. Sad to think of it being dirty and polluted :(
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete