So...I been meaning to post for a week or so now, but I wanted to do a super informative post about Revolution Day (October 20), and I kept getting distracted. So here's the short version:1944: The US and Europe and Japan are all doing the World War II thing. Guatemala's been ruled by a bad guy military dictator for a decade or so. A bunch of students and teachers from a university in Guatemala City are like ENOUGH! They do all sorts of protesty things, and with the help of some discontented millitary leaders, overthrow Jorge Ubico y CastaƱeda (bad guy dictator)...who later dies in exile in the US of A.
So now Revolution Day is a holiday. Interesting stuff. We celebrated at Revolution Fest...a party at a skatepark. It was cool though. They had live hiphop and blues. I like both of those things.
I have so far failed to make enough money from teaching English to do fun things. So I've decided to just use English classes as currency. I am trading English lessons for both guitar and dance lessons. It is good times. I have been paying for boxing though. Stupid boxing teacher's fluent in English already... (damn you, California!)
During my free time, I've been going back up to La Pedrera. I missed those little kids, and the hike's good exercise. It's just goodness all around.
I'm thinking of heading to San Pedro La Laguna this weekend. A group of cool people from my hostel are going to visit some friends and hit up a cool Halloween party. I've been dying to get back to Lago Atitlan since I was 16, and I want to see what I'm missing in San Pedro (that's where I could have worked in the Spanish school).And...that's pretty much it, I think. Applied for a job in Lawrence and one in Santa Rosa. Don't know if I'll hear back from either of them, but keep your eyes out for work for me. I plan to start a grownup job when I get back from Central America. :-)
Wish you the best. Thanks for the update on your adventures and for the Guatemala history lesson. I'm busy making election calls.
ReplyDeleteViva la Revolucion!!
ReplyDelete