Monday, October 15, 2012

new digs, books, boxing, earthquakes...

I was hesitant to move into a hostel, because I don't want to be speaking English with gringos all the time.  Casa Argentina's very cool though.  There are a bunch of people living there and a bunch just passing through, but it's an extremely international crowd.  There's actually a ton of people from South and Central America and Spain, so Spanish is definitely the dominant language.  There's also a handful of Israelis, one girl from Aruba, and some extremely blonde, Nordic-looking people I haven't spoken with yet.  :-p  But everyone's very interesting.  There's enough dreadlocks and herb for a music festival, but international hippies are so much more fun that the same old gringo ones.

And the market is less than a minute's walk.  Literally.  Like I don't even have to keep food around.  I just wake up in the morning, roll out of bed, wander down to the market, and pick out whatever fresh local veggies, fruits, eggs, meat, bread, etc. I want.  This is the life.

I finished Memories of My Melancholy Whores in two days.  It's a quick read, but if you know me, that's still impressive.  Today I sold it back to the bookstore and used the money for a private boxing lesson.  HOLY CRAP I am out of shape!  But it hurts good!  The teacher says I'm picking everything up super fast cuz I gots martial arts in my muscle memory.  I was, after all, a first place champion in the ages 6-8 category at one time. 

I'm gunna try out a group salsa class tonight too!  Then tomorrow I probably won't be able to get out of bed.  :-p 

In other news, the Mayan gods appear to be preparing for the apocalypse with a series of very small earthquakes.  Honestly, I find them kind of exciting...like airplane turbulence!  But, like airplane turbulence, I can see how it could be less fun and really scary if they started getting worse.

Oh, and...

3 comments:

  1. Have I told you how much I love your blog? No? Maya, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check your blog a couple times a day. I am going to make Henry Waxman calls for a while. Our new district Voter registration:
    Democrat: 44.4%
    Republican: 28.5%
    Decline to state: 22.4%
    Our opponent was a very active Republican who was a co-chair of the Bush and McCain campaigns. He can spend millions of his own money. He reregistered as a declined to state last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too modest, Maya. You also won first place in both forms and fighting at the tournament in Beverly when you were still 10, and earned your black belt before you were 12!

    ReplyDelete