This is the Peace Palace:
It's even cooler-looking on the inside!
The proceedings were delayed for about an hour because the Democratic Republic of the Congo didn't show up because of the ash cloud. Finally everyone decided to go on without the DRC, since it was Guinea's day to talk anyhow. The actual talking part was extremely boring... but very interesting. I can't really explain it. It made me sleepy, but I found what they were saying intriguing. I wasn't the only one who got the sleepy vibe though. Some of the judges were actually nodding off! eek! But it was a cool experience. Everything was in French, but we got headphones so we could here the English interpreter. It was neat to see Judge Abraham in real life, since I was him at Boston Model UN once in high school.
So yeah... after lunch and course registration, Vivian, Laura, and I walked to the Mauritshuis museum. It was super cool! I love that period of art (and music), and the museum was an awesome size. There were lots of paintings, but it was small enough that we could see them all and really appreciate them and stuff.
This is the museum:
We saw this thing:
This painting, entitled "Searching for Lice," gave me horrifying flashbacks:
I really, really liked this one. It's Gabriel Metsu's "A Young Woman Composing Music." It looks so much cooler in real life though:

The train ride home from the Hague was so pretty and sooo Hollandy! We went by tons of tulip fields with all sorts of crazy colors, and a bunch of cows and windmills and stuff!
My camera seems to be breaking. The left side of all my pictures is blurry. Hmm...
Yesterday, I witnessed the most disastrous lecture ever. Our guest lecturer for Conflict Studies showed up half an hour late. He spoke really quietly and was a total mess until someone finally said something. Then we had a break. Then he came back after the break and said he couldn't finish. It was so sad. I felt really bad for him. But I got to leave early and go out for coffee with some friends, so that was nice.
Dam square has become a huge carnival. It's super exciting. There are rides and games and cotton candy and everything! I wanna go on the ferris wheel!
I don't think Spain is going to happen, but I might try to go to Copenhagen that weekend with a friend. If it's not equally expensive. I'm going to start looking into it.
Sounds like a great trip. Sitting in a jury in a ordinary trial can make you very sleepy.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that the camera wasn't working in the tulip fields. Jack asks if you cleaned the lens.
Your mother and I flew from Amsterdam to Copenhagen 42 years ago.
I spent the weekend at the State Democratic Convention. Am still a Jerry Brown fan.
Lenore
If you go to Copenhagen you must go to Tivoli Gardens, I have such great childhood memories there. What do you think is up with your camera?
ReplyDeleteHMmm- Perhaps your Conflict Studies lecturer was to conflicted?? xojdw
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it hasn't escaped you that having Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday with no classes also has great possibilities too. Also sounds like it's a great time to be where you are ... Spring and Summer and tulips galore. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteJudi
Personally, I found that having entire days off kills efficiency. Much better to have one class in the morning that forces you to get up, then some free hours where you can work on stuff (now that you're up) before some other obligation (like rugby or music lessons).
ReplyDeleteBut if you're a morning person, maybe you have no trouble getting up early without a class as motivation. That's just been my personal experience.