YAAAAY!!! I'm so happy! Today was my housing appointment at Oberlin. I've never done the housing process before because it's different when you're a freshman, and then I was an RA. I couldn't do it this year either, because I'm not on campus, so I designated my friend, Owen, as a proxy. He hooked me up good! I'm living in North, the same dorm I was in at the end of last semester which I loved. This time, however, I have a super single instead of a tiny little single. And I'm still on the first floor! I'm super close to the gym and the rugby field, and I'm far away from the dining hall with fourth meal! So good! And I love North because it tends to have fun people in it, and it has sci-fi hall up on the 2nd floor. :-)
Monday is my course registration. I will be in the Hague, so I'm bringing my computer. Court should be out before my registration starts, so I will have time to get to a library or a cafe or any place with internet. I already got consent from the instructor to take Music and Embodied Cognition. It's technically a music theory course (which I need to complete my major), but it sounds really different and interesting:
"This course explores the relationship between musical experience and conceptualization. Starting from basic embodied experience, this course explores how music generates affect -how and why different works and styles have different feels-and how the experience and feel of music motivate and ground traditional and novel concepts. The approach is interdisciplinary, with readings drawn from: perception and cognition (general and musical); ancient and modern philosophy and music theory; human development (ontogenetic and phylogenetic); cognitive neuroscience; cognitive linguistics; and musicology, including gender issues pertaining to music. Written coursework includes 1) responses to readings, 2) brief analyses of works and styles, and 3) a term paper. "
I'm also going to try to take Introduction to Historical Performance and an International Politics research seminar. Then I will pick one other class that I need to graduate. I'm thinking politics, but maybe math or science. Being a senior's awesome because you get first pick of housing and courses and stuff. It's so much easier to take what you want to take.
:-)
Ok back to homework!
----
Update: Just got consent to take the International Politics seminar! That counts as my core research seminar for both my Law & Society and Politics majors! And it's kind of my main academic interest right now!
While the name: Embodied Cognition makes me think of a brain on a pedastol... the course description shounds facsinating!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the awesome housing assignment. That is great!
Will musical embodied cognition explains why "Hot Cross Buns"is the best piece of music ever written, notwithstanding that hot cross buns taste awful?
ReplyDeleteNorth dorm is also closer Cleveland - is that good? xoxojdw
Dear Maya -- Your convoluted twists and turns on the academic parallel bars leave us panting for breath (well, at least the next installment)! I have to say that the "Music and Embodied Cognition" course sounds absolutely fascinating, and I'm delighted that you got that one (as well as the International Politics seminar).
ReplyDeleteSpain with Billy? If you can spare the time, it's certainly an idea. The only downside I can see is that your dates are very close to the Champions League final in Madrid (May 22), and prices may be gouged north accordingly. Ask around, and see whether that's a dubious travel date. If so, try to reschedule for another time. Love, -- Dad
Maya; "gender issues pertaining to music?" Hmmm… does that include the castrati - OUCH!!! xojdw
ReplyDelete