Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's Aspergeseizoen!


If you've lived with me, you know I love asparagus. And it is asparagus season! And apparently this region of the world is way into asparagus! But it's not the green stuff I'm used to. It's white asparagus! My teacher says the white kind is more expensive in the US, but it's super cheap here. And it's a bit sweeter. Fun fact I learned: you have to PEEL white asparagus! Who knew??

Also, according to wikipedia, "When spargel [German word for white asparagus] is harvested in the late spring, many German cities hold festivals in celebration. Schwetzingen claims to be the “Asparagus Capital of the World” and holds an annual Spargelfest (asparagus festival) in which it names a lucky person as Spargel Queen." I WANT TO BE SPARGEL QUEEN!!!

In other news, it's an amazingly beautiful day today. It finally hit 70 degrees! FINALLY! I got some gelato from a cart, and because I ordered it in Italian, he gave it to me for €1 instead of €2! Nothing like some gelato al limone on a sunny day!

2 comments:

  1. Some German restaurants here have asparagus fests. Yes the white is expensive but I like the green. Glad you have nice weather. Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya:When you're back here in CA you can go up to Castroville and be the Artichoke Queen or Strawberry or Garlic or Brussels Sprout Queen. CA has lots of queens xojdw

    ReplyDelete