Thursday, May 13, 2010

London Calling

I'm in the basement of the Clink hostel on Kings Cross Road in London.

So far this trip has been very fun. I didn't get any work done on the bus though. My computer was locked in my bag, and the keys weren't working (i had 2 of them). I mostly slept. I was sitting next to a rather portly woman, but she had a really cozy sweater on, so her invasion of my personal space ended up providing a comfy blanket. :-p

We took a ferry! It was the biggest ferry I ever been on! All fancy and stuff! I had breakfast on the ferry. I love how the British do breakfast! Eggs and toast and friggin beans! It's glorious! I'll take that over waffles any day! This is my self portrait of me on the ferry:


It is soooo nice to have everything in English! I had gotten so used to Nederland en Nederlands that I didn't realize how much it's not an English-speaking country. It's weird. I can't make myself say "thank you" instead of "dank u wel," and I keep saying "nee" instead of "no." I'm really enjoying chatting with store clerks and info people again.

So when I arrived at the train station, I went on a mission to find bolt cutters to break into my own backpack. I found the correct office. The dude made a call, and we were standing around waiting for the bolt cutting man to call back. We had lots of good conversation. Then he asked if he could try the keys real quick on the off-chance that he could make it work. Keep in mind that I had spent over half an hour trying both keys and every trick i knew. He picks up the bag, sticks the key in, unlocks it like NOTHING, and hands it to me. defadshfhajdsmkgkljh! but yeah... then I asked him if he could do it again, and he couldn't. I'm throwing the lock out. but WTF??

My tentative plan is London today and most of tomorrow. Bath tomorrow evening. Cardiff Saturday. London Sunday. So far I have explored the area just east of Victoria station. I went to Westminster Cathedral and Abbey and saw the Parliament building. It's Ascension Day, so the churches are bustling. I listened to organ music for a while in St. Margaret's cuz my bag was getting really heavy. I scoped out a bunch of stuff I'm gunna do on Sunday when I'm back in that area and have purchased a wheely bag.

Like the Churchill War rooms, across the street from St. James Park:



I also minded the gap:


Now Ima go check into my room. The internet's being quite disappointingly slow.

I'm so overwhelmed by all the things I want to do! Eeeee!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you're so excited about the ferry :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to do... so little time! I'm so glad that guy was able to open your bag. Did you get the wheely bag?? Glad you figured out the ferry!! And.. glad you are "minding the gap"
    Eat some fish and chips for me (rolled in newspaper with vinegar). Love you!!

    ReplyDelete