Saturday, March 13, 2010

Things I learned today:

1. I can get a good bagel with lox and schmere where I live.
2. Apples, Celery, and Spinach Sandwich = Bad
3. Muesli Muffin = Excellent
4. The speaker/writer S has uttered utterance U1 in defense of his standpoint Stp.
5. S has thereby performed a complex speech act of argumentation that is directed toward justifying Stp.
6. The argument expressed in "U1, therefore Stp" (a) is invalid; the performance of the speech act of argumentation is a violation of Rule 4 (and possible Rule 2)
7. Adding U2 to argument (a) produces a valid argument (b) "U1 and U2 therefore Stp"; the performance of the speech acts U1 and U2 constitutes an argumentation which conforms to all the rules.
8. Therefore: U2 is an unexpressed premise of S's argumentation.

2 comments:

  1. #s 1-3 I grock. #s 4-8, I know are from your argumentation course, but ... elicit a general .... "huh?' And. #2 elicits a general "why?" Why does that exist? Why would you buy it?? Just... why (other than the probable, that is all that was in the refrigerator).

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE:#1 - During my 1953 sojourn occupying the late 3rd Reich, it took me 6 months to discover that "lachs" on the local gasthaus menu board was in fact"lox" - no bagel -only Schwarzbrot

    RE:#2 Did you actually have to try that sandwich in order to know its bad?

    RE:#5-#8 HUH??

    ReplyDelete