Friday, February 12, 2010

Herring Happened!

So to make up for not posting for 2 days, I'm posting twice today. :-b

I bought my Carnaval ticket, and then went to a Carnaval/halloween shop to get a cat mask. Then I ate herring from a cart! It was so effing good! I had it on a roll with pickles and onions. I think the lack of meat (or anything besides bread and cheese) in my diet made it even better.

So then I went home and ate beef soup and fruit salad. Mmmmm... not dairy!

I also tried out the new bank card mom sent me and it worked!!! Problem solved!

I also got some cool free gloves for buying 3 cans of soup!

I also found a cool gay book shop.

What else...?

I need to look at my finances and figure out if i can afford to join the fancy, expensive gym around the corner. If I pay more for the expensive gym, I know I'll go almost every day. If I get the cheap university gym membership, I don't think I'll go often enough for it to be worth it. It is really expensive though. I need to think. I have an appointment to go talk to them on Monday.

Tonight I walked to Albert Heijn to buy some tupperware. They didn't have any, but I bought some other stuff I needed (sponges, juice, etc.), and while I was waiting in line I chatted with the really nice couple behind me. They told me how to ask for the time in Dutch, and I told them how I'm taking a class and I'm going to learn Dutch. Then they gave me their football (soccer) cards, so I got 3 packs instead of 1.

Good times. Soon I will get ready to go out.

:-)

3 comments:

  1. Dear Maya,
    Go the the expensive gym. I will be happy to pay, I wish I had cared when I was your age(or the next 50 years) as then maybe I would not have diabetic neropathy and my feet would not be falling apart. I'm going to go swimming now. Love Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carnaval means meat leaving and occurs before Lent. For centuries Catholic didn't eat meat during lent. On Fridays they didn't eat. During lent it was Wednesday and Fridays. When I was a girl in Latrobe stores sold fresh fish only on Friday. We had beef or chicken for Shabbat dinner with fresh baked challah. So we had fish only when someone went to Pittsburgh to a fish monger(a store that stunk with fish on ice) But during Lent fresh fish was sold on Wednesday. So we had fish every Friday in Spring.
    Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday and the next day is Ash Wednesday which is the beginning of Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I lost a phrase, On Fridays all year Catholics didn't eat meat. So we had fish EVERY WEDNESDAY during Lent.
    Enjoy your tour tomorrow. Lenore

    ReplyDelete