2. You remain an outsider. Whenever the Dutch want to, they can shut you out, simply by switching to Dutch. Even if this is not intentional, you could be missing a few interesting points. Personal things, fine details, those little things that could contribute to an understanding. Also this can lead to a certain degree of isolation.
3. Your intellectual capacity might be estimated to be at the level of your language capacity. The better your Dutch, the smarter you are thought to be. If you stumble your way through the announcement that you are a professor in your home country, your Dutch audience might look somewhat incredulous.

I love the Dutch!
I pulled an all-nighter last night, but I am finally totally caught up. I have no more winter term German, and I'm right where I should be on my actual schoolwork for this semester.
Today in Public International Law we picked topics to follow throughout the semester. We will also present on these topics at the end of the semester. We got placed into groups of 2-4 based on our interests. I'm really excited because our class is about 90% Americans, and we only have two men (and twenty-odd women), but I got both of the guys (who are both from different countries) in my group. The group is me, Kevin from Germany, and Filipe from Brazil! Epic win! And we're studying issues in disarmament and non-proliferation, specifically focussing on Iran's nuclear program.
Now I have to finish up my Dutch homework, buy some school supplies, and go to sleep. Class at 6.
Thank you for the comment love, family. I take back my earlier statement. :-b (Connor's still awesome though.)
Oh! It might be wintery here, but it's 0º in Oberlin. Now I know the true meaning of schadenfreude!
Oh also! Another cool fact about my Public International Law teacher: She was on the Detroit bomber flight.
I appreciate the thoughts, Maya, but as much as I love you, I doubt that it is more than your imediate biologic family. As for commenting so much, I think mostly I'm just procrastinating a whole lot about getting my stuff ready to move and so being better about keeping up with blogs in general, although yours is high on my list. You have come up in conversations I've had with several different people this past weekend.
ReplyDelete