Friday, February 26, 2010

Santa's Black Slaves


Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Not only is blackface ok in the Netherlands, it's actually a cherished part of the Christmas tradition. I'm watching a Dutch Christmas movie (Alles Is Liefde) right now. It's pretty crazy.

Zwarte Piet is Sinterklaas' servant. If you're a good kid, he'll give you candies, but if you're a bad kid, he will stuff you in a bag and bring you to Spain as punishment.

Oh Holland!

This is the first thing about this country I find more shocking than its lack of 3-ring binders. And it is waaay more shocking!

Also, in other news, I got awesome cards from Isaac and mom yesterday in the mail and it made me really really happy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!! Glad our cards arrived. Hmm.... black face, bad kids brought to Spain. Do you think if your bad they will send you on a free trip to Spain?

    ReplyDelete